Fountains in Rome
The Fountains in Rome:
The Trevi Fountain is the largest and one of the most famous fountains in Rome and one of the most famous fountains in the world. The Baroque fountain, leaning against one side of Palazzo Poli, was designed and started by Nicola Salvi in ??1732 and completed in 1762 by Giuseppe Pannini. The fountain was built with travertine, marble, plaster, stucco and metals.
The realization of the Triton Fountain was entrusted to Gian Lorenzo Bernini, the artist preferred by the pontifical court of Urban VIII; in 1642-43 Bernini designed one of his most successful fountains for Piazza Barberini. The «fountain of the Triton sounding», as it began to become known because of the hiss emitted by the jet, became the favorite haunt of many artists visiting Rome.
The Fountain of the Turtles was built, on a probable project by Giacomo Della Porta, in 1581. The popular legend tells that the Duke Mattei, whose palace overlooks the square that houses the fountain, to surprise the future father-in-law (who did not want to give him the daughter in wife), had the fountain realized in a single night. The next day he showed the betrothed with his father at the window to admire the work. So, in order that no one else could enjoy the same show, the young duke had the window walled in, so it came to us.
In 1626 Pope Urban VIII commissioned Pietro Bernini to build a fountain in the square below the church of the Trinità dei Monti, which at the time, in the absence of the staircase, stood on the edge of an escarpment. The Barcaccia Fountain was completed in 1629, and Bernini was also helped by his son Gian Lorenzo, who probably completed it when his father died. Its particular shape may have been inspired by the presence on the square of a dry boat, carried there from the flood of the Tiber in 1598.